WordPress is a web content management system originally developed as a tool to publish blogs but has ever since evolved to support other web content such as mailing lists, internet forums, media galleries, membership sites, learning management systems, and online stores.
WordPress is renowned for its versatility, user-friendliness, and extensive ecosystem of plugins, and themes enabling developers to create websites without any hassle.
As an online business owner and/or site administrator creating a daily backup of your WordPress website is an important thing you should do after you have designed and published it.
Daily website backups protect you from a variety of unpleasant situations that may occur. For instance, there are several possible outcomes, such as a security breach, an issue with the WordPress theme or plugin you recently installed, password loss, or even inadvertent website deletion.
The following are some of the reasons why it is important to backup WordPress:
- Knowing that your data is backed up gives you peace since the unforseeable nature of the online world cannot hold you hostage.
- Websites can lose data for several reasons, including virus attacks, server crashes, and human mistakes. Frequent backups guard against data loss by ensuring that, if any of these issues arise, you can restore your website to a previous state.
- Having an up-to-date backup enables you to promptly restore your website and minimize downtime in the event of a security breach or hacking attempt.
- Updates to these components can result in compatibility issues, leading to site malfunctions. Having a backup allows you to roll back to a stable version if problems arise after an update.
In this article, we’ve handpicked the best-automated backup plugins for WordPress that can back up and restore any size website with flawless accuracy and ease of use.
UpdraftPlus is among the world’s most popular backup plugins with over 3+ million active installations. It features a clean UI that enables you to easily automate incremental backups that you can restore with a single click.
- One-click backup and restore
- Scheduled backups
- Integration with multiple cloud storage options
- Site migration capabilities
- Premium: $70 with 2 Licenses
- Business: $95 with 10 Licenses
- Agency: $145 with 35 Licenses
- Enterprise: $195 with unlimited Licenses
- Gold: $399/year with unlimited Licenses
UpdraftPlus supports integration with several cloud storage apps including Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. and it sports a paid version with more features.
UpdraftPlus Premium is available for purchase here.
2. Solid Backup
Solid Backup distinguishes itself from the majority of backup plugins by not only backing up the site’s database but also ensuring the complete backup of the entire website installation, encompassing user data, media, themes, settings, categories, widgets, comments, and more
Solid Backup runs malware scans in order to protect your site from potential threats, enables users to easily schedule customizable backups, facilitates faster site migration especially from localhost to live domain, etc.
Ensure secure offsite archives, initiate one-click restoration, revert database changes, scan for plugins and theme vulnerabilities, and automate scheduled backups
Features of Solid Backup:
- Ensure secure offsite archives
- Revert database changes.
- Scan for plugins and themes vulnerabilities
- Automated scheduled backups
- initiate one-click restoration
- $99/year for 1 site
- $149/year for 5 sites
- $299/year for 10 sites
- $399/year for 25 sites
- $499/year for 50 sites
3. Jetpack VaultPress Backup
Jetpack VaultPress Backup is a paid WordPress backup plugin that enables users to set up automated daily backups online quickly.
One of the most proven backup plugins with 269 Million sites backed up in the last 10 years with unlimited storage space.
Its features also include a Real-time cloud backup with 10GB Storage 30-day backup archive, spam protection for pingbacks and comments, convenient site migration and 1-click automated restores, professional customer support, uptime monitoring, and brute force attack protection.
Jetpack VaultPress Backup’s pricing starts at 3.45/month.
BackWPup is a backup solution that allows users to schedule complete backups including the installation and the WordPress content of the website to external cloud storage services such as Dropbox, S3, FTP, and many more.
It compresses backup files into a single .zip file which makes import/export tasks easier, completes file path-specific backups, and syncs files from remote locations.
BackWPup is also capable of optimizing and repairing your database through automatic phpMyAdmin backups. Choose the plan that suits your needs by selecting it here.
- Standard: 1 site for $69
- Business: 5 sites for $119
- Developer: 10 sites for $199
- Supreme: 25 sites for $279
- Agency: 100 sites for $349
Duplicator is the most powerful WordPress plugin used by over 1,000,000+ Professionals for Migrations and Backups. It is designed with a focus on WordPress site cloning, migration, etc. between domains.
Its free features include full WordPress migration without needing to import/export SQL scripts, selectively back up parts of websites, pull down a live website to localhost for development, etc.
Duplicator has a pro version with extra features that include cloud storage to Google Drive, Amazon S3, Microsoft OneDrive, FTP/SFTP, scheduled backups, expert support, email notifications, etc.
7. WP Time Capsule
WP Time Capsule enables users to schedule backups to Google Drive, Dropbox, Wasabi, or Amazon S3 quickly and conveniently.
It features a straightforward interface and a nifty calendar view to further simplify scheduling backup and restore dates and a staging option that allows you to test backups before restoring them. You can try WP Time Capsule for free for 30 days with zero risk.
- Business: $49/year with 2 sites and 30 days of restore window
- Freelancer: $99/year with 10 sites and 120days of restore window
- Business: $199/year with unlimited sites and 365days of restore window
8. WP Database Backup
WP Database Backup (also WP DB Backup,) is a backup plugin that enables users to create backups and restore points of databases either manually or automatically. It works with several supported web services including Dropbox, Email, FTP, Amazon S3, Google Drive, etc.
WP Database Backup features include other features such as easy installation and configuration, a searchable backup list with pagination, documentation, etc.
- Personal: 1 Site License for $9
- Multiple: 3 Site License for $19
- Webmaster: 10 Site License for $49
- Freelancer: 25 Site License for $89
- Agency: Unlimited Site License for $159
- Lifetime: Unlimited Site License for $199
BlogVault is a paid WordPress backup plugin capable of migrating a site of up to 330GB without overloading the hosting server.
Coupled with its speedy backup and restore functionality, BlogVault offers built-in staging and merging features that enable users to test changes on a test site before permanently making changes to the live site.
It also offers automatic backups, WooCommerce support, incremental backups, and support for several popular web hosts including Savvii, Pantheon, WP Engine, etc.
Try out BlogVault, no credit card is needed.
- Personal: 1-year License, 1 site, daily automatic backup, 90 Days of Backup for $149/year
- Prime: 1-year License, 1 site, 2 daily automatic back up, 180 Days of Backup for $199
- Pro: 1 year License, 1 site, 4 daily automatic back up, 365 Days of Backup for $299
- Max: 1-year License, 1 site, hourly automatic backup, 365 Days of Backup for $499
10. ManageWP Backup
ManageWP Backup is a popular paid WordPress plugin that enables users to conveniently manage multiple blog sites from a single dashboard which they can use to optimize and track their websites in real-time.
It is set up in a way that is easy for even WordPress beginners to not have usage issues and contains single buttons for toggling backup settings.
In my opinion, ManageWP Backup is the best plugin option for users who have to manage multiple websites.
WPvivid streamlines the process of backing up and restoring your website to a new server. With WPvivid, you can include or exclude particular files, directories, and database tables from a backup.
You can also back up web databases and tables and automatically back up themes and plugins before you update them. It also allows you to set up one or multiple email addresses to receive backup reports and notifications.
You have the option to set up email report subjects that are specific to each site so that they are easy to recognize and receive notifications when a WordPress backup succeeds or fails.
In addition, WPvivid supports one-click migration, which makes the migration process easier because your site is seamlessly transferred with just a few clicks.
Besides that, WPvivid only backs up the changes made since the last backup, therefore reducing the server load.
WPvivid comes with different affordable pricing plans tailored for bloggers, freelancers, small businesses, and more. The pricing plans allow users to unlock unlimited features
- Blogger: 2 Domains at $39.2/year
- Freelancer: Upto 10 Domains at $55.2/year
- Small Business: Up to 50 Domains at $79.2/year
- Ultimate: Unlimited at $119.2/year
12. Backup Migration
Backup Migration is a comprehensive WordPress plugin that ensures utmost data security and seamless migrations. Backup migration only backs up changes made since the last backup to minimize storage requirements and backup time.
It enables you to schedule backups at regular intervals (weekly, monthly, etc.) This ensures that your data is always updated without any manual intervention.
With Backup Migration, you can configure which files and databases should be backed up. Besides that, you can test alterations before implementing them on your live site thanks to the plugin’s support for staging sites.
Keep in mind that the free version can only create backups up to 2GB in size. For larger backups, consider the premium version here.
13. Boldgrid Total Upkeep
Boldgrid Total Upkeep is a complete 360 solution WordPress plugin that safeguards, restores, and migrates your website. Total Upkeep ensures your data is always protected, even when your local servers crash.
You can achieve this by safely storing your backups using services like Amazon S3 or Google Drive.
Boldgrid Total Upkeep pricing starts from $2.50/month when billed annually.
Total Upkeep provides the following functionalities:
- Automated and manual backups
- Complete database and file backup
- Total Upkeep verifies that your web server has the capabilities required to generate backup archives correctly, safeguarding the integrity of your backups.
- With a few clicks, you can clone, duplicate, and/or migrate your website.
- It provides staging sites, which you can use to test new plugins or themes.
Choosing the best automated backup plugins for WordPress can be a daunting task, but it’s essential to protect the data on your website.
Always take into account elements such as backup frequency, backup destinations, and ease of use when selecting a WordPress backup plugin.
You can select a WordPress backup plugin that best suits your requirements based on these factors. Ideally, you should back up your WordPress website once a week, but the frequency depends on how often you update your website.
Do you have experience with any good plugins that didn’t make it to our list? Add your suggestions in the comments section below.